Sunday, August 24, 2008

Oi, There's A Queue Here, Pal


I wish to take away not a single, solitary thing from the highly impressive and dynamic Olympic closing ceremony - including the handover. (Although the thought "My God, isn't Jimmy Page looking old these days?" did briefly cross my mind. At least Boris Jonhson didn't, as I feared he would, say anything stupid. Or, indeed, trip over his own feet.) But, did anyone else find a certain - hopefully unintentional - irony in the fact that the entire world's lasting impression for the next four years of what, exactly, London is going to do with the event will be a line of people with umbrellas queued up waiting for a bus and then pushing past each other to get on first - including jumping over a bloke in a wheelchair?

I'm not saying it's not an accurate portrayal of everyday British life...

In fact, come to think of it, it's a highly accurate one!

It's certainly a novel approach compared to most previous games!